To import data into your portal, TalentLMS provides you with the following two options:
- Upload an external file (.csv / .xls / .xlsx format is supported).
- Sync your user base to an external file (.csv / .xls / .xlsx format) stored in a remote SFTP server.
To import/export data via an SFTP server follow these steps:
A. Set connection settings
1. Sign in to your TalentLMS account as an Administrator and go to Home > Import - Export (1).
2. Click the Sync with an FTP server tab (2).
3. Fill in all required fields (Host, port, etc.) and then click Save (3). If you want to test the connection (4), make sure you have saved your data first.
B. Enable Import/Export
You can enable export by ticking the corresponding box (1). Then:
- In the Export directory (2) field, type in the directory in which you want the export files to be transferred (optional).
- Select at least one type of export file you would like to receive (Users, Courses, Branches etc.) (3).
- Select the date format the fields should use (Default, Use dashes instead of slashes, etc.) (4).
|NOTE: The default date format means that we will use the same date format as set in your Account and Settings>Locale.|
- The Export only recent course completions option (5) refers to the "User to courses" export type. If you enable this, the export will not include progress data included in previous exports.
- Click Save (6) when you’re ready, and then click Export now (7).
You can enable import by checking the corresponding option (1). Then:
- Type in the directory where the import file(s) are stored (2).
- Tick the Deactivate users and courses missing from import file (3) box only if you intend to do full system imports. If your file has specific users/courses and you are trying to update them, leaving all others intact, then do not select this option.
- If you want to delete the import files from your server after the import process has finished, tick the Delete file after import box (4).
- Do not forget to click Save (5) before clicking Import now (6).
|Note: The import file can have a maximum size of 3MB.|
Auto sync happens once a day, both for import and export. For each export type you have selected, a csv file will be generated and uploaded to your server.
The import process searches for the latest csv, xls or xlsx files on your server, and imports them all – from oldest to newest.
|NOTE: Files are checked based on the date and time they were last modified. This attribute is compared with the "Last import" date and time, and only files modified after last import date/time are imported. If you manually trigger export/import, then the auto sync may not run for that specific day.|