With TalentLMS’s custom SSL feature, you can upload your own SSL certificate to secure and certify your website as safe for your users and visitors.
In order to configure a custom SSL certificate and enable encryption, you have to get a private key, which is usually created by you, the certificate owner, when you request your Certificate Signing Request (CSR). In case your SSL provider doesn't supply a private key, you can generate your own CSR and private key using TalentLMS.
Here’s how to do that:
1. Login to TalentLMS as an Administrator.
2. Navigate to Account & Settings (1) > Domain (2).
3. Click Map a custom domain (3).
|Note: first, make sure you have properly mapped your custom domain to TalentLMS (see this article).|
4. Check the Generate CSR - Private key (4) checkbox.
5. In the CSR form (5) insert your business info.
6. From the Bits (6) dropdown list select 2048 or 4096.
|Note: the Bits value changes the number of characters of your private key. Using the higher selection is advised for stronger security.|
7. Enable Wildcard certificate (7) if you want to secure your custom domain (e.g. lms.mybusiness.com) and all subdomains (e.g. abranch.lms.mybusiness.com).
|Note: If you don’t enable the WildCard certificate, only your custom domain (e.g. lms.mybusiness.com) and the www domain (e.g. www.lms.mybusiness.com) will be secured.|
8. Click Generate (8).
9. You can now copy your CSR (9) and Private key (10). The CSR can be used to create your SSL, and together with your private key you can build your certificate in PEM format to insert into the Custom SSL input.
|Note: Make sure to keep your private key securely stored, as it cannot be recovered from the TalentLMS site.|
To complete your configuration and import your new custom SSL certificate and private key, generate your new SSL certificate using the CSR, and follow the steps in section B from this article.