TalentLMS lets you set time limits for your courses so that users complete them on time according to your training plan. When a user misses their course deadline, the course expires, and their access is revoked.
A. How to set time limits for courses
To set a time limit for a course, follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your TalentLMS account as Administrator and go to Home > Courses.
2. Go to the page of the course you want to modify and click Time limit.
3. In the Time limit field (1), type the number of days you want the course to remain active for each user. If you want to keep the course available to the users who have completed it, even after it has expired, check Retain access for users who have completed the course (2).
|Note: For each user, the days until course expiration start counting on the date they enroll.|
4. Click Update course to save your changes.
B. How to work with expired courses
On their dashboard, learners see the current expiration date next to each course (if that course has a time limit) (1). When a course has expired, an Expired(2) label is displayed next to the course progress bar.
|Note: If the Retain access for users who have completed the course option is enabled, users that have Completed (3) the course also see the Expired label. However, they can still access the course content.|
You can reset the expiration date for any single user without affecting their course progress by unenrolling them from an expired course and enrolling them again.
To do that:
1. Go to Home > Users, click the user you want to update and go to the Courses tab.
2. To unenroll the user from an Expired course, locate the course and click the respective remove symbol in the Operations column.
3. To enroll the user again and reset their expiration date, click the respective add symbol in the Operations column.
|Note: You can also reset a user’s expiration date from the page of the expired course.|
You can remove the time limit from a course any time you want. When you do that, users that are already enrolled in that course do not still see it as Expired and they can now access it again. To reset their expiration dates, you have to remove users from the course manually, and then, reassign that course to them.
To do that:
1. Go to Home > Courses, click the course you have removed the time limit from and go to the Users tab.
2. To remove a user with an Expired label, click the respective remove symbol (1) in the Operations column.
3. To add the user again, click the respective add symbol in the Operations column.
Before you start working with time limits, you should also know that:
- When you change the time limit for a course, the expiration date also changes automatically for users (i.e., Expiration date = enrollment date + time limit).
- When a course has expired for a user, and, with the new time limit, the expiration date is later than the current date (i.e., Expiration date = enrollment date + time limit), the user’s course status changes to Active so they can access the course again.
- When a course is active for a user, and, with the new limit, the expiration date has passed (i.e., Expiration date = enrollment date + time limit), the user’s course status changes to Expired and their access is revoked.
- When a course with a time limit has a prerequisite course, the time to course expiration starts counting, not on the enrollment date, but on the date that the prerequisite course has been completed.