A Learning Record Store (LRS) is a system that collects and stores recorded learning data from connected systems where learning activities are conducted.
Besides displaying xAPI data natively on your Timeline page, TalentLMS lets you connect to an external LRS and automatically sends all your recorded learning data there without any changes.
Here’s how to enable an automated TalentLMS-LRS connection:
1. Sign in to your TalentLMS account as Administrator and go to Home > Account & Settings.
2. On the Basic settings tab, in the Security (1) section, check Enable xAPI (if unchecked).
3. Check Push xAPI statements to external LRS (2).
4. In the respective fields, type the xAPI endpoint, xAPI key, and xAPI secret (3) as provided by your LRS service.
5. Click Save.
Some popular LRS systems are Watershed, GrassBlade, SCORM Cloud, etc.
To demonstrate the full process, let’s see how you can integrate your TalentLMS portal with the SCORM Cloud LRS:
Example: How to connect TalentLMS to the SCORM Cloud LRS
1. Sign in to your SCORM Cloud account.
2. On the left-hand navigation panel, click xAPI LRS.
3. Go to the Activity Providers tab and, if you don’t have one, click Add Activity Provider.
4. From the Allowed Endpoint drop-down list, choose SCORM Cloud (sandbox).
5. Go to the LRS Endpoints tab and note down the SCORM Cloud (sandbox) endpoint URL.
6. Return to the Activity Providers tab and note down the Key and Secret values.
7. Go to your TalentLMS Account & Settings page and paste the xAPI endpoint URL, the xAPI key and the xAPI secret in the respective fields, as described earlier in this article.
8. Click Save to complete the process.
From now on, all the xAPI data recorded by TalentLMS are sent to your SCORM Cloud LRS account. To view them, go to the LRS viewer tab and, from the View statements in drop-down list, choose SCORM Cloud (sandbox).