TalentLMS allows you to give out assignments to your Learners, who can then submit their answers in various formats to be reviewed and graded.
Step 1: Add an assignment to a course
1. Sign in to your TalentLMS account as an Administrator or an Instructor, go to Courses, select the course you want to add an assignment to, and click Edit course (1).
2. Click Add > Learning Activities and from the list, choose Assignment (2).
3. In the respective fields, write the Assignment name and its Description (3).
4. Click the Unit options (4) and choose how the unit should be completed.
- When instructor accepts the answer: The assignment unit is considered complete only when the Instructor has graded it. If the sequential rule (i.e., Units must all be seen and completed sequentially) is enabled for the course, users cannot proceed to the next unit until their assignment has been graded.
- When uploading an answer: The assignment unit is considered completed (passed) the moment a user uploads their answer. If the answer is wrong, the Instructor can change the unit status to “Not Passed” or “Pending” (i.e., the user can try again).
5. Click Save (5) when you have chosen the completion method.
6. To make the Assignment unit active, click Publish unit (6).
|Note: You can access the unit options, rename, unpublish or delete the unit at any time, by selecting the 3 dots (7) icon.|
When Learners access the unit, they can see the assignment description. To submit an answer, they are provided with five options (8):
- Text reply: Learners manually type in their answer
- Upload a file: they can upload a file from their device
|Note: The accepted file types and size limits are: GIF, JPEG, PNG (10 MB) AAC, AIF / AIFF, MP3, OGG, WAV, WEBM, WMA, 3GPP, AVI, MP4, MPEG, MOV, FLV, WMV, DOC, PDF, XLS, PPT, PPTX, XLSX, DOCX, ZIP (600 MB or 100MB for the Free plans)|
- Record video: they can record a video using their device’s camera
- Record audio: they can record an audio answer, using their device’s microphone
- Record screen: they can record their device screen where they show their answer
|Note: To begin recording, Learners must click the Start recording button, and when done, click the Stop recording button. The minimum duration for the recording is 5 seconds.|
To submit their reply, Learners have to click the Submit button. They will be presented with their answer, as well as an option to Modify your answer (9) while the unit is Pending reply from instructor (10) if the completion method is set to When instructor accepts answer. If it is set to When uploading an answer, the unit will be completed immediately.
Step 2: Review the assignment and grade it
As TalentLMS+ Beta is a work in progress and continues to have new functionalities added to it, some of its aspects might not be ready yet. One such functionality is the Instructor’s ability to review and grade a Learner’s assignment. Currently, an Instructor has to switch to the TalentLMS interface and follow the steps described here.